Quick reads:Leave your Footprint
Calling Yesterday, Texting Today, Using Apps Tomorrow - Nielsen
From the Height of this Place by Jonathan Rosenberg
What is Social Media?
What’s the big deal?
- In the Cloud
- By the people for the people
- Opportunity for businesses to learning directly from customers
- Social Media Revolution 2 - Youtube Video
Who is doing it?
- Mid 90’s - Microsoft’s Encarta - Encyclopedia
- 10yrs ago - Wikipedia
- Online Activity
- Cell phones
- Google’s mission: to organize the world’s information and make it universally accessible and useful.
- Jonathan Rosenberg - "Everyone can publish and everyone will"
The real power is that these people all are on the same playing field.
- big companies
- individual with loyal fans
- or someone with a lot of opinions.
Navigating the Internet
- RSS Feeds - Blogs
blogs are created daily — most of them with an audience of one. Over
half of them are created by people under the age of nineteen. -
- Micro blogging
- Twitter - 140 Characters
- Video sharing like Youtube
- 2 Billion Views a Day
- 24hrs of content uploaded every minute.
- It’s not about you going to it...it comes to you.
Making it useful
- RSS - Dangerously irrelevent
- Google Reader
- Google >Even More
- Search features like Updates and Discussions
- Be Inspired.
- Create and use your PLN
Keeping an Eye on Your Footprint
- Cross Pollinate
- Use the application to feed the other applications.
- Twitter to Facebook and beyond
- Youtube - Not just for NumaNuma Kid anymore.
- Track your hits
- receive comments
- Creating Playlists
- Google Search features
- creative commons